7 Best Portable Jump Starters 2021 (Top 7 Portable Jump Starters 2021)
|+ 1000 Peak Amps|
+ Build Quality
+ Safety Precautions
|- Battery Capacity|
|+ LCD Screen |
+ 3 Year Warranty
+ Smart USB Port
|- Charging Passes Slowly|
|+ 2000A Peak Current|
+ Compatible USB Charging
+ Fastest Charging Speed
|- May not Support Diesel Motors|
|+ Effective for Large-Sized Engines|
+ Durable battery life
+ Impressive Display Features
|- No Carrying Case|
|+ Lot of Mah Power|
+ Torch Light with Modes
+ Fast Charging
|- Only One Fast Charging USB 2.0|
|+ 1700 Peak Amps|
+ Jumper Clamps Quality
+ Quality Made
|- No Air Compressor|
|+ Built-in Protection Circuit |
+ Powerful Lithium Battery
+ 50 Jump Starts
|- Not Suitable with Diesel Cars|
“I once got stranded on a dark lonely road during one of my yearly trips to the countryside. With non-existent cell service, I struggled to stay sane and keep my shaky hands steady. None of this would have happened if I had a portable jump starter to crank up my battery.”
However, beyond owning a jump starter, you need to know how to use it as well. The question is, how do you use a portable jump starter?
Don’t know the answer to that question? Then this article is a must-read! I have taken the time to provide a detailed guide on how to use a jump starter.
Armed with this knowledge, you’d have nothing to worry about while making those long trips.
But first, let’s dive in.
Staying Safe While Using a Portable Jumpstarter
People often consider jumping their cars with other cars; this is ultimately dangerous. That’s why you need a portable jump starter in the first place. However, be careful while using one.
You’d expose yourself to some risks if you don’t take the necessary precautions.
Although rare, some faulty and old batteries are prone to explosion when mishandled. You need to carefully jumpstart your car battery.
Also, I recommend keeping a pair of protective glasses, protective clothes, and gloves in your vehicle. Ensure you wear them before jumpstarting your car.
Furthermore, always read the jump starter user manual. For one, you can’t make assumptions, especially with cars. Most of them have a straightforward jumpstarting process, but not all vehicles are the same.
For instance, you can’t easily access some car batteries. So, you may need to jumpstart such a car through another channel. See why you need to check out instructions?
Portable Jump Starter Vs. Battery Chargers
The first difference is that a battery charger needs an outlet before it can recharge a car battery. Plus, you need to charge the battery for several hours or sometimes two days before it gets fully charged.
Generally, your car alternator charges your battery, but you often need a car charger if you use your car occasionally or sporadically. A battery charger would be useless if you ever get stranded and need to start a dead battery. But it wouldn’t hurt to have one handy.
On the flip side, battery jumpers don’t require a power outlet, neither do they charge a car battery. It only supplies enough amperage to crank the engine and kickstart the car. After you start the vehicle, the alternator will charge the battery and start up the electrical system.
We recommend having the two in your emergency kit. You can avoid getting stranded with the jump starter, while the plug-in charger will recharge it when you have access to an outlet.
How To Know When Your It’s a Dead Battery?
A dead battery has various harbingers. However, you need to know when to use a jump starter and when you need to locate a mechanic immediately.
A weak battery gives different signs like electrical component issues, dim headlights, warning lights, etc. But if your engine fails to start, your battery is probably dead. The most common reasons for dead battery are leaving your headlights on or turning the ignition switch on while the car isn’t running.
You know your car battery is dead when you try to start the engine, and it gives a click sound without coming on.
To clarify if a dead battery is a problem, check your headlight. If your headlight is dim or doesn’t turn on, your car battery is dead. Contrarily, if you have a bright headlight, then a low or dead battery isn’t the problem.
If your electrical components, windows, and lights are working fine, the issue has nothing to do with the battery.
How Do You Use a Portable Jump Starter?
- Firstly, never go on a long trip without charging your battery starter. These starters run on batteries, so having a jump box with a low battery in your car is as good as having none.
- Always read the owner’s manual before doing anything.
- Wear eye-protective glasses, gloves, and protective clothes.
- Turn off your vehicle and remove the key from the ignition.
- Ensure you aren’t wearing any jewelry and don’t put your face too close to the battery.
- Check to make sure you don’t have any flammable gasses or liquid on your hands or anywhere around the starter or the battery.
- Don’t keep the chargers too close to the battery. Keep it as far as the cables will allow.
- Check the owner’s manual to confirm if the battery charger voltage matches the jump starter’s output voltage.
- Locate the Negative and positive terminals on the battery. Be sure to remove corrosion before attaching the cables.
- Locate the positive and negative clips on the jump starter. The negative clamp is black while the positive one is red.
- Confirm that the starter is off before you connect it to the battery.
- Ensure that the negative and positive clamps never collide.
- After you have confirmed the car and starter are both off, connect them with the appropriate cables.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive terminal on your car battery and attach the black clamp to any unpainted and unmoving metal part on the car. Use any area within the engine block and car frame.
- When you are sure the clamps are firm and in the right places, turn on the jump starter.
- Then turn the car on.
- Don’t crank the car up for too long. A maximum of five seconds is enough. Try it once and if the vehicle doesn’t respond, wait for two to three minutes.
- Turn off the jump starter when the car engine comes on.
- Remove the clamps and pack up the battery starter.
- Leave the car to run idle for a while before you start driving again.
7 Best Portable Jump Starters 2021(Top 7 Portable Jump Starters 2021)
1. NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline and 3-Liter Diesel Engines(GB40)
NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline and 3-Liter Diesel Engines
2. DBPOWER DJS50 Jump Starter Battery Pack for Automobiles, 800Amp 18000mAh 5/12/16/19V Portable Auto Car Battery Charger, 20 Starts, with Jumper Cables, Up to 7.2 Liter Gasoline and 5.5 Liter Diesel
3. Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter – 2000A Peak 18000mAH (Up to 10L Gas or 8L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with LCD Display Jumper Cables, QC 3.0 and LED Light(IM27)
4. HULKMAN Alpha85 Jump Starter 2000 Amp 20000mAh Car Starter for up to 8.5L Gas and 6L Diesel Engines with LED Display 12V Lithium Portable Car Battery Booster Pack (Space Gray)(Alpha 85)
5. NEXPOW Battery Jump Starter 2500A 22000mAh Car Jump Starter (up to 8.0L Gas/8L Diesel Engines) 12V Car Battery Booster Pack with USB Quick Charge 3.0 and 4 LED Modes Red Blue Warning(Q9B)
6. Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12 Volt Jump Starter(JNC660)
7. Battery Starter for Car, TOPVISION 2200A Peak 21800mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (Up to 7.0L Gas or 6.5L Diesel Engine), 12V Portable Battery Booster(G26)
One way to avoid getting stranded is learning how to put a jump starter to good use. Even the best jump starter becomes useless if you can’t operate it. Hence, buy and learn how to use a portable jumpstarter— this might be a lifesaver sooner or later.
You May Also Like:
- How Functional is Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 Jump Starter?
- Is DBPOWER DJS50 Portable Car Jump Starter Reliable?
- Should You Buy the Schumacher SC1281 Battery Charger in 2021?
- Is The NEXPOW Car Jumper Starter Worth Buying in 2021?